These products contain insecticides (Lindane, Malathion, Natural Pyrethrins, and Permethrin), and should always be used with caution. Check with your pharmacist or doctor to determine which product is safe for your family. Never use these products if you are pregnant, nursing, or on infants under 6 months of age. Follow the directions exactly when using these chemically based head lice solutions. Misuse of these products (leaving them on longer than the directions state or applying more treatments than specified), compromises the health of the child due to overexposure to chemical pesticides. Also, children with allergies may be at more risk for allergic reactions to pesticides.
A prescription medication called Kwell should never be used. Kwell contains Lindane, a powerful neurotoxin and possibly carcinogenic pesticide, which can cause serious side effects including seizures and even death. Consumer Reports has petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to remove this pesticide from the market. Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable to Lindane toxicity.